Meet Our Doctors
Get to know your board-certified allergist!
Thomas B. Harper, III, MD
Dr. Thomas Harper, co-founder of Charleston Allergy and Asthma, serves as a consultant for our team of board-certified allergists. He previously served as one of our full-time providers and is board-certified in allergy, asthma and immunology in both pediatrics and adults. He received his undergraduate degree from The Citadel, where he was a drummer in the marching band. From there he went on to medical school at Tulane University in New Orleans. He completed an internship and residency at Tulane University/Charity Hospital and then completed a National Institute of Health (NIH) immunology fellowship, studying the relationship between nutritional and immune problems in cystic fibrosis. He then attended the University of Colorado/National Jewish Hospital where he completed his allergy and immunology fellowship.
He is trained in all aspects of allergy, asthma and immunology with a special interest in food allergy and respiratory problems in small children. He enjoys training residents who rotate through his office from MUSC. Dr. Harper is the author of several articles and chapters in books and has been elected by his peers in Best Doctors in America many times over the past several decades.
He has won many local awards, as well, as including Best Allergist in Mom’s Choice awards from Lowcountry Parent Magazine, Charleston’s Choice from Post & Courier, Best of the Best from Charleston Living Magazine, and Best of Mount Pleasant Magazine. He has also won Best of Berkeley for Berkeley Independent and Reader’s Choice from Summerville Journal Scene.
He is married with three children and enjoys spending his time reading, about one book per week, as well as, playing and listening to blues and New Orleans R&B. He enjoys kayaking, both whitewater and kayak touring.
Education & Training
- The Citadel - Bachelor of Science
- Tulane University - Doctor of Medicine
- Tulane University, Charity Hospital - Internship and Residency
- National Institute of Health - Fellowship in Immunology
- University of Colorado, National Jewish Health - Fellowship in Allergy and Immunology
- American Board of Allergy and Immunology Board Certified
- American Board of Pediatrics Board Certified
- South Carolina Medical License
- National Board of Medical Examiners
- American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology
- American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- Charleston County medical Society
- South Carolina Medical Association
- Medical Society of South Carolina