Meet Our Doctors
Get to know your board-certified allergist!
Carolyn R. Word, MD
Dr. Word received her undergraduate and medical degree from the University of Virginia in Charlottesville, VA. She then completed her pediatric residency at MUSC where she was awarded Chief Pediatric Resident. She then traveled back to the University of Virginia to complete her allergy and immunology fellowship. Dr. Word is board-certified in allergy, asthma and immunology for both adults and pediatrics.
She has been awarded Best Allergist by several local publications including, Mom’s Choice from Lowcountry Parent Magazine, Charleston’s Choice from Post & Courier, Best of the Best from Charleston Living Magazine and Best of from Mount Pleasant Magazine.
A Tennessee native, Dr. Word decided to move back to Charleston after spending many summers here with her family on Isle of Palms. In her spare time, she enjoys spending time outdoors with her husband, Robert, and their three little ones on our beautiful Lowcountry beaches and hiking in the mountains. She also enjoys baking and cooking with her family and frequently shares her goodies with the staff and with our patients! (Check out some of her yummy food allergy-friendly recipes on our blog page.) Additionally, she loves running, listening to live music and traveling.
Education & Training
- University of Virginia - Bachelor of Science
- University of Virginia - Doctor of Medicine
- Medical University of South Carolina - Residency in Pediatrics
- University of Virginia - Fellowship in Allergy and Immunology
- The American Board of Allergy and Immunology Board Certified
- American Board of Pediatrics Board Certified
- South Carolina State Medical License
- National Board of Medical Examiners
- American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology
- American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- Charleston County Medical Society
- South Carolina Medical Association
- Medical Society of South Carolina