Back-to-school is an exciting time for students and parents alike! From new friends and lessons to sports and extracurriculars, it can sometimes feel like your child is on a nonstop schedule. That’s why sneaking (healthy) snacks can be essential for their success! As a parent, we know you’re busy! That’s why our team is here to help with this safe and tasty treat that’ll please even picky eaters.
That’s right, Dr. Carolyn Word and her kids are back in the kitchen testing their latest and greatest allergy-friendly culinary concoction. This delicious dairy-free, gluten-free, peanut-free and raw egg-free snack is a high-protein cookie dough alternative sure to keep your child going and growing.
*This recipe has been adapted from one of Dr. Word’s favorite blogs, Dishing Out Health.
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Protein Balls (5 Ingredients)
- ½ cup of salted cashew butter*
- ½ cup of almond flour**
- 40 grams (~2 scoops) of collagen peptides (optional)
- 3 tbsp. of maple syrup
- ½ tsp. of vanilla extract (optional)
- ½ cup of mini or standard chocolate chips (use Enjoy Life for dairy-free or Lily’s brand for lower sugar)
- *If allergic to tree nuts, can substitute natural peanut butter
- **If allergic to almond, can substitute coconut flour but reduce to ¼ cup. Dr. Word also tested the recipe with ¼ cup oat flour, but would not recommend that substitution.
- In a large bowl, combine nut butter, almond/coconut flour, maple syrup, collagen and vanilla (if using). Mix until combined and the consistency resembles that of cookie dough.
- Fold chocolate chips into the mixture.
- Scoop the mixture into 9-10 balls and arrange them on a plate. Balls can be chilled in the fridge for up to two weeks. If this becomes a family favorite in your household as well, we recommend doubling the recipe!
This recipe can be whipped up in a single bowl in just 15 minutes and makes the perfect low-sugar after-school or post-workout snack great for all ages!
Visit https://dishingouthealth.com/cookie-dough-protein-balls/ for the original recipe.
The Perfect Recipe for Allergy Success
If you or a loved one are living life under allergy-related stress, Charleston Allergy and Asthma is standing by to help you live without worry. Explore our blog for more allergy-free and -friendly recipes, and contact us today to schedule an appointment with our team of board-certified allergists.