fbpx Peanut Oral Immunotherapy, is this the peanut allergy cure?

Charleston Allergy and Asthma Blog

Peanut Oral Immunotherapy, is this the peanut allergy cure?

  • allergy
  • charleston-allergy
  • food-allergy

Oral Immunotherapy (OIT) research studies start with a powdered peanut protein that is consumed in increments in an allergist’s office. After increasing doses are tolerated, then the patient is sent home and must eat a certain amount of peanuts daily. The idea is that patients will ultimately be able to tolerate peanuts without risk of anaphylaxis.
In an OIT study with 100 patients, 25% have to drop out due to side effects. The remaining 75% are able to tolerate peanuts but again only if eaten regularly. Unfortunately, these studies have only proven a temporary desensitization for most of those peanut allergic. The allergy community is hoping to find a long term solution. However, currently these studies indicate that if you stop eating peanuts each day, you will usually revert back to your full allergy.

At this point, OIT is not the peanut allergy cure, as these studies do not have standardized protocols and is not approved by the FDA, College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology (ACAAI) or Academy of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology (AAAAI).

Learn more about Food Allergy treatment here or schedule an appointment now!

Request an Appointment